E.E.Cummings died (3/9/1962)
HenHanna
2024-09-04 00:15:26 UTC
Born Edward Estlin Cummings, Cambridge MA, 1894. Father was a Harvard
professor, later Unitarian minister.
"His penchant for lower-case was extended to his initials by one of his
publishers, and the practice caught on, though he himself usually kept
the capitals." (Crystal)
anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did
Women and men (both little and small)
cared for anyone not at all
they sowed their isn't they reaped their same
sun moon stars rain             (1940)
"The seeds of Cummings' unconventional style appear well established
    FATHER DEAR. BE, YOUR FATHER-GOOD AND GOOD,
    HE IS GOOD NOW, IT IS NOT GOOD TO SEE IT RAIN,
    FATHER DEAR IS, IT, DEAR, NO FATHER DEAR,
    LOVE, YOU DEAR,
    ESTLIN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Cummings
anyone lived in a pretty how town
(with up so floating many bells down)
spring summer autumn winter
he sang his didn't he danced his did (1940)
Several weeks ago, i listened to a recording of EEC himself
reading this and it wasnt at all like how i imagined.

if you've read [The Enormous Room], pls tell me about
a passage or scene that you remember. (i remember Nothing)
HenHanna
2024-09-05 23:46:34 UTC
[...]
Here's a quote from The Enormous Room by E.E. Cummings, featuring French
vocabulary:

"Il est Fort! [strong] M'sieu Jean, c'est un GEANT"

This quote translates to: "He is strong! Mr. Jean, he is a GIANT." Here,
Cummings is describing the impressive physical stature of Jean Le Negre,
a fellow inmate.

________________

"Il y a un vieux soldat qui parle toujours de la guerre. C'est un bon
vieux. Il s'appelle le Capitaine."

"Il y a un petit chien qui s'appelle Coco. Il est très gentil."

The inclusion of French phrases in The Enormous Room is primarily due to
the setting and the author's experiences.

Setting: The novel is based on E.E. Cummings' real-life imprisonment in
a French detention camp during World War I. It's natural that the
language spoken there would be predominantly French, given the location.

Author's Experience: Cummings immersed himself in French culture during
his time in France, learning the language and interacting with
French-speaking people. This personal experience influenced his decision
to incorporate French into his writing.

Authenticity: By using French phrases, Cummings aimed to create a more
authentic and immersive experience for the reader, transporting them to
the setting of the novel and allowing them to better understand the
characters' perspectives.

___________________________

E.E. Cummings was imprisoned in a French detention camp during World War
I due to a series of unfortunate events and misunderstandings.

1.
Administrative Errors: He and his friend, William Slater Brown, were
initially assigned to an ambulance service in France. However, due to
administrative errors, they were left without a specific assignment for
several weeks.

2.
Anti-War Sentiments: During this free time, Cummings and Brown explored
Paris and openly expressed anti-war views. They also preferred the
company of French soldiers over fellow American ambulance drivers.

3.
Intercepted Letters: Brown wrote letters home criticizing the war and
expressing his disillusionment. These letters were intercepted by French
censors, who misinterpreted their contents as potentially harmful to the
war effort.

4.
False Accusations of Espionage: Based on the intercepted letters,
Cummings and Brown were arrested on suspicion of espionage and
undesirable activities. They were held for three and a half months in a
military detention camp.

It's important to note that Cummings and Brown were eventually released
without ever being formally charged with any crime. Their imprisonment
was a result of a series of unfortunate circumstances, rather than any
actual wrongdoing on their part.
HenHanna
2024-09-05 23:49:36 UTC
[...] "The seeds of Cummings' unconventional style appear well established
FATHER DEAR. BE, YOUR FATHER-GOOD AND GOOD,
HE IS GOOD NOW, IT IS NOT GOOD TO SEE IT RAIN,
FATHER DEAR IS, IT, DEAR, NO FATHER DEAR,
LOVE, YOU DEAR,
ESTLIN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Cummings
‘M. L. Rosenthal wrote that: “The chief effect of Cummings' jugglery with
syntax, grammar, and diction was to blow open otherwise trite and bathetic
motifs through a dynamic rediscovery of the energies sealed up in
conventional usage ... He succeeded masterfully in splitting the atom of the
cute commonplace.[1]”’
If he were a patient of mine I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there were
ischaemic damage to Broca’s area on an MRI brain.
so you're a Medical man?

Joyce wrote about [Splitting of the etym.]
Aidan Kehoe
2024-09-07 15:17:15 UTC
Post by HenHanna
[...] "The seeds of Cummings' unconventional style appear well
established even in his earliest work. At age six, he wrote to his
FATHER DEAR. BE, YOUR FATHER-GOOD AND GOOD,
HE IS GOOD NOW, IT IS NOT GOOD TO SEE IT RAIN,
FATHER DEAR IS, IT, DEAR, NO FATHER DEAR,
LOVE, YOU DEAR,
ESTLIN.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Cummings
‘M. L. Rosenthal wrote that: “The chief effect of Cummings' jugglery
with syntax, grammar, and diction was to blow open otherwise trite and
bathetic motifs through a dynamic rediscovery of the energies sealed up
in conventional usage ... He succeeded masterfully in splitting the
atom of the cute commonplace.[1]”’
If he were a patient of mine I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there were
ischaemic damage to Broca’s area on an MRI brain.
so you're a Medical man?
Yes, I fret about blood pressure, and cholesterol, and family history, and
smoking, and broken bones, and language problems of the sort that Cummings
seems to have had. Don’t smoke, it’s bad for you. Get some exercise, I fear you
are not managing 30 minutes a day with your enthusiasm about posting to Usenet.
--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’
(C. Moore)
LionelEdwards
2024-09-07 15:29:55 UTC
My favourite e e cummings:

maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach(to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn’t remember her troubles,and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles:and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose(like a you or a me)
it’s always ourselves we find in the sea