1981 Prose Poem
Will Dockery
2015-09-15 19:59:31 UTC
[snip]
Yes (spoiler alert) she did return to me, after some thrills and chills
and with a cliffhanger ending (including a surprise cameo rescue by her
fabulous,
brave, raven haired and heroic sister Victoria, yeah, that Kinks riff
cues in right now)... I just awoke here, so let me rev back up on a few
coffees and
maybe I can type out another chapter.
[snip]
Um, Will, I hope your coffee didn't also vanish. You can't leave us
hanging on this, though it's a relief you issued the spoiler. But don't
feel shy about
that next chapter.
Hello Willie... some explanation might help here... my "policy" over the
last 40 or so years has almost always been to tell my "story" through the
poetry (and song lyrics, which to me are the same thing) so what happened
Kathy then, and twenty years later... and now (she passed away a decade
ago,
in August 2004, so the story does not, at least on many levels, can not,
have a happy ending in the long run) is supposed to be revealed in there,
in
the songs.
But this section, maybe 1980-83, roughly, has always had a bit of an epic
scope on its own (My daughter Sarah recently told me that her mother was
watching the movie Urban Cowboy a few years ago, and told her "This is the
story of me and your dad.", but that's another version of the trip,
mostly).
Here is the scene where I'm standing on a bright cold Summer morning in
Twilight Girl
"This is the wait, the weight of the world. It comes down sweet & heavy...
Twilight Girl."
Six or six thousand,
we will meet again.
At blazing dusk,
or quiet dawn.
On that shore... again.
<etc>
-Will Dockery (words)
Henry Conley (music)
Check out "Twilight Girl" / Written by Will Dockery & Henry F. Conley
https://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/17680972-twilight-girl-w-dockery--h-conley
And so it goes.
Will, I'm really sorry about Kathy, and about asking you to write about
her. Twilight Girl is beautiful. On my machine it cuts off near the end
(right
after "Ghost horses from the car ahead/Looks like engine...."--I tried it
several times, same thing).
Yes, Reverbnation cut the song early, something about the "file was too
large" at that time... they've since changed the system so I should do a
reload one of these days.

The entire song is on the video, though, available via this link:

Check out "Twilight Girl by Will Dockery & Henry Conley - the video
http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/video/11602577
Will Dockery
2015-09-15 21:49:01 UTC
Check out Twilight Girl
I really like the chords leading into the "This is the weight" chorus.
First a Dylan circa BOTT chord morphing into a Knopfler SoS chord. And the
whole
song, too.
Thanks, Willie.

And while we're on the subject, another that I recall you named as a
favorite, "Shadowville Speedway", also tells a part of the same story, a
later chapter that jump-cuts into flashback, and sideways as well, maybe.

"I'm in love with a ghost..." and so on.

https://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/8798172-shadowville-speedway--will-dockery

Shadowville Speedway

In a taxi watching a sporting house
Beside a Linwood vacant lot
Silverdollar moon portspotting
Constellation like a sailor's knot.

The sky was black, ink and glitter in the night
Train whine saxophone out beyond the light
I'm in love with a ghost blue turns to grey
Put a pyramid on my head to take my pain away.

Hazel knew the karma, she kept it in a bottle
Now I'm here on the receiving end
At least I still know how to take a joke
And laugh with none of my friends.

Shadowville, Shadowville Speedway
Riding slow down a one way street
Shadowville, Shadowville Speedway
Don't look back, don't admit defeat.

Brown Recluse magic drifting around the shed
Someone has it in for me I must not lose my head
Moving with the speedo life several with me left behind
Burned too many bridges defragmented my time.

Somewhere in time I've seen all this before
In a magazine or a dream of a distant war
Manifested destiny a manifesto and a part
All the actors still agree that ever had a heart.

The good book and the fortune telling lady
Black tooth mojo marked index cards
Bundles over the side of Dillingham Bridge
Splashing as ripples reflect from the stars.

And so it goes.
Will Dockery
2015-09-16 21:46:08 UTC
Post by Will Dockery
Twilight Girl is beautiful. On my machine it cuts off near the end
(right
after "Ghost horses from the car ahead/Looks like engine...."--I tried
it several times, same thing).
Yes, Reverbnation cut the song early, something about the "file was too
large" at that time... they've since changed the system so I should do a
reload one of these days.
-------------
I wish you would, I had the same problem when you posted the link a while
back and it's very annoying (you may recall I like the song too).
DianeE
Thank you Diane, I remember that now.

I really do need to replace that track, and will a.s.a.p. with all these
many (two, but each listener is important to me) requests... but, meanwhile,
as I posted for Willie, the entire song is on the video, available via this
link:

Check out "Twilight Girl by Will Dockery & Henry Conley - the video
http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/video/11602577

This is actually the track with a slideshow of images, so is in fact the
same recording, full length.

Thanks again for listening, Diane, and glad you liked what you heard.

And... so it goes.

:D