Seems a long time ago, Tina / Will Dockery
Will Dockery
2017-01-18 12:31:29 UTC

Tina I see you closed
that picture book
that box filled with your
poetry and trinkets
from a bygone modern age
I see you waving goodbye
that was so long ago!

-Will Dockery

(I think this is the most complete version, so far... continue the
discussion here, folks, please...)
--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Will Dockery
2017-01-18 19:47:10 UTC
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 8:28:49 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery
Post by Will Dockery
Seems a long time ago, Tina
Staring at a picture book
as cellos saw away outside
Photographs of 1981
Seems very real to me
such a regal lady
but it is another land
far away
before I threw it all away
for her
I know that truth still echoes
and hurts
and just reminds me just how
confused the gambles made
could sometimes be.
Tina maybe some days
do you remember Dunkin' Dine
when we would go there
and play the little juke
box that was on all the tables?
George Harrison
remembered John and
"All those years ago."
as we looked into each others' eyes
"You better, you better you bet!"
Six months later
all, and I do mean all...
was lost.
Tina like a painting
in my memory
with your long red cartoon hair
green tiger eyes
deep and pure with honesty
just about as tall as me
as we clinched together like
Leonard Cohen's crucifix
a raving beauty
of fire and ice and a sparkle of green.
Game for any games
I could think of
you were always taking
the photos
and rarely appeared in any
in Summer of 1981.
Now I wish I had insisted more
took the camera
to for a moment be an artist
so I could see you
just a little while
but then again no.
Because even now I know folks
who like
being the photographer
because that is being
the artist
of the work
and that was you
in Summer of 1981.
I probably never mentioned
to you
at the time
since I'm not sure which of you
I was talking with
more that day
that I had a camera
filled with photos
of me and you
of me and Kathy and Clay
and those mutual cousins
in our scene.
As always running in a hurry
with my mind
filled with doubt and worry
I left that camera
sitting on a table
at Church's Chicken
across the street
from the Varsity Jr. hot dog stand
on Lindberg Drive
second guessing as time passed by.
It was out of my sight
for five minutes
flashing by
as I would expect now
36 years of perspective later
it was gone
when I got back.
I asked the employees
but nobody would admit
the camera
was ever there
it was only a few minutes
one of those employees
had to have
stolen that camera.
This would be
a whole roll
of photos of us
from that same time period
these photos of
Summer 1981...
as we strolled
barefoot
on Cheshire Bridge Road
And the shortcut
through the back streets
giggling
at the gay guys
outside Sweet Gum Head bar
two green haired
punk rock boys
kissing
declared their love
like we did
that month in Summer 1981.
Tina I see you closed
that picture book
that box filled with your
poetry and trinkets
from a bygone modern age
I see you waving goodbye
that was so long ago!
-Will Dockery
(I think this is the most complete version, so far... continue the
discussion here, folks, please...)
--
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Tina might be worth hiding, name wise, protecting the innocent
and all
that
Post by Will Dockery
I do feel you could use an alternative as 'seen her'...having
the same
tonality replacing the proper name..
A first stanza example...
Seems so long ago
since I've seen her
Staring at a picture book,
Photographs of 1981
is very real to me
but another land
far away
before throwing it
all away for her,
I know truth still echoes
and hurts
and reminds me just how
confusing a gamble made
could sometimes be.
It could go on if interested..
your words can be whittled down having the same
message...considering
having it on one page...though it can also carry over to a second
facing
page..if you want the entire piece read..that, my friend, is up to
you..:-)
It actually started off as an email to Tina, suddenly I started
feeling a
poem was in there, and it grew and grew.
I also have maybe 20 poems from that actual Summer of 1981 that were
written
"as it was happening", which I haven't looked at in a decade or or
two, but
THAT is certainly another book, probably.
Now I wish I had insisted more, but even now I know folks who like
being the photographer because that is being the artist of the
work.
I had a whole camera filled with photos that I left at Church's
Chicken across the street from Varsity Jr. for five minutes that
was
gone when I got back.
I asked the employees but nobody would admit the camera was there,
and
it was only a few minutes, one of them had to have stolen that
camera.
This would be a whole roll of photos of us from that same time
period,
Summer 1981.
Summer 1981, Tina, that was so long ago!
Post by Will Dockery
oh i know still like them , don't like my photo taken much.
Remember Dunkin' Dine, when we would go there and play the little
juke
box that was on all the tables?
"You better, you better you bet!"
But yes, The idea of breaking the poem into a trilogy or something
like that
is a really good one, Jimmy, and perhaps each of the three can give
slightly different angle/perspective of "Tina".
Given that there's only about three /super-long/ poems to be
switched out,
this could really work in an outstanding way.
:)
and of course you could always start and end the chapbook
Tina-wise...a flash back, flash forward type of thing...
so many options available...hence my 'don't rush' thing....lay it out
with a story board type thing...it will come together best that way
The book/story mostly ends on Christmas morning 1995, with the "Tina"
section being in Summer of 1981, it quickly covers a 14 year stretch of
time, bookending, mostly, my "Mill rat" years of 1983-91 or so.
But... written from, now, 2017, looking back on moments, the signposts
of where things may have... begun to go wrong.
Not an exact, linear story, or at least mostly not.
Yes, a bit more time to let it all gell a bit is a great idea, but those
are some o9f the specific points to hit, or was from the start.
Tina adds some brightness to it, some color.
Seems like some sorrow and guilt as well......
I'll look off to the side out the big glass window, take a sip of the coffee
and quietly say you nailed it, on certain levels, Jim.

The entire batch of poems have been difficult to write, not sure if
difficult is exactly accurate, since when I did start to write them, after
22-36 years, they have been coming easily. I may be of use to add this early
thought on these raw, exposed nerve ending poems...

This was/is the basic concept of the book, and as I mentioned earlier, the
"Tina" poem gives the grim proceedings a bit of color, of light:

"Will Dockery" wrote in message news:647fbc3e-1844-45fd-9fa6-***@googlegroups.com...

Been on that side of the scale since around Christmas, and banged out a few
new poems about December 25th 1995, a day I've never had the courage to
write about, or barely think about, for 21 years. These poems form the core
of a new chapbook, my first chapbook since 2001, my first release of any
kind since "Shadowville Speedway" in 2009.

Title: White Album In Negative, with art by LIam Brooks.

Sidebar: I just found out yesterday that December 25th 1995 was the day Dean
Martin died, and I said two myself, so there was two of us, eh? A part of me
died that day, a part I doubt will ever return.

I only expected to deal with the year 1995 at first, but the other years
that led to it add tothe overall aspect of a man who took a big, lifetime
gamble... and lost it all.