The Pity of the Leaves / Edwin Arlington Robinson
Will Dockery
2016-03-16 18:09:16 UTC
The Pity of the Leaves, by Edwin Arlington Robinson
Vengeful across the cold November moors,
Loud with ancestral shame there came the bleak,
Sad wind that shrieked, and answered with a shriek,
Reverberant through lonely corridors.
[...]
I hadn't come across this one before -- thanks again for bringing
it to light.
I'm glad you like it. I was similarly impressed when I first read it
earlier this year. I've been saving it for the right time.
I'm not sure why Robinson tends to be overlooked (even by me) these
days. Maybe it's the 1897 date on this poem and his (probably)
best-known, "Richard Cory," which allows the academy to pass him off
as a 19th-century poet. He was much more of a poetic force in the
20th century, though, winning 3 of the first 7 official Pulitzer
Prizes awarded for poetry.
I've been doing a lot of reading of his poems these past few months,
Another classic, thanks for keeping these obscurities afloat, my friend.
Peter J Ross
2016-03-18 01:38:08 UTC
In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Wed, 16 Mar 2016 14:09:16 -0400, Will
Dockery wrote:

Why do you reply to my posts when pretending not to, Dreckweasel?

<narcissistic spew snipped>
--
PJR :-)

τὸν οἰόμενον νόον ἔχειν ὁ νουθετέων ματαιοπονεῖ.
- Democritus